Home » University of Washington » Fees & Financial Aid for Online Students at University of Washington

Fees & Financial Aid for Online Students at University of Washington

By: , Category: University of Washington

There are many things to take into consideration at the time of college enrollment.

And even when you attend an online university, getting a line on the arrangements of its fees and finances is worth the troubles. You don’t want to be at a loss at the counter of registration. Actually, smart distance learners always spare no efforts digging out information in that aspect.

If you are going to enroll in the University of Washington (UW) as an online student, it is necessary to find out how the fees and finances work there. And you know what, do it in advance. Here is some info about the online course fees, credit course technology fees, payment policy, financial aid and more at UW.

Course fees

Course fees are consisted of three parts.

– Registration fee

It is a one time nonrefundable fee of 39 dollars per quarter. For all summer quarter 2012 regulations, the registration fee is 42 dollars.

– Credit courses

1) Technology fee: First you need to pay a technology fee if you enroll in credit online learning courses. Secondly, the amount of fee is based on the number of credits you are enrolled for each quarter.

For undergraduates, the fee is 41 dollars for 10-18 credits; 37 dollars for 9 credits; 33 dollars for 8 credits and 29 dollars for 7 credits. For graduates, it is 42 dollars from 7 to 18 credits.

This fee applies to all credit classes even when you don’t use technology resources in your course. Charged upon registration, it is refundable. It is because of this fee that you are able to have access to services like internet, email, computer and multimedia workstations and laboratories, computer software and dial-up telephone.

2) Supplementary materials

Locate the supplementary materials at the end of your course description. Do some calculation and add the cost of materials to the total fees. This cost does not include textbooks.

3) International postage

An international postage fee of 50 dollars for airmail applies to students living in foreign countries. Those residing in Canada and Mexico don’t have to pay it.

– Noncredit courses

Fees for noncredit courses vary. Check out the list at the end of each of your course description.

Fees paid by third party

UW accepts the third-party payment option for tuition and fees. But if there is anything wrong with the payment, you are the one held responsible for it.

When arranging payment through a third party, such as your employer, you need to attach a separate document to your registration form. The document is a signed purchase order or letter of authorization to bill. And this is required each term.

Tax credits and deductibles

As a UW distance learner, you may qualify for tax credits and deductibles for your tuition and other expenses.

– Tax credits

The Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) dictates that taxpayers can qualify for the maximum claim of 20000 dollars for eligible tuition and related expenses as a tax credit. Here, qualified education expensed means money paid for academic periods during the tax year.

If you have paid scholarships, tax-free grants or employer education assistance, you may not have your tuition and fees qualify for tax credit. But qualified out-of-pocket expenses and those paid by loans may claim the tax credit.

– Deductibles

Up to 4,000 dollars of qualified college tuition and other expenses can be deducted from your income taxes. An adjustment to income, this deduction reduces the amount of your income that is subject to tax. It works the best for you to deduct the tuition and fees if you do not qualify for the LLC.

Financial aid

UW offers awarded financial aid for those enrolling in online learning courses. You can contact the Office of Financial Aid at 206-543-6106 for info about financial aid funding and how it applies to your circumstances.

Benefits for military personnel

UW supports financial efforts made by federal government to help military personnel.

– Benefits for veterans

Veterans may qualify for reimbursement of course fees if they enroll in online learning courses, under the G.I. Bill. Veterans Administration benefits are available for some UW certificate programs. To apply for these benefits, you can contact the Business Services and Veterans Affairs Office at 520 Schmitz Hall, Box 355835, 206-543-6122 or FAX 206-616-4862.

– AmeriCorps education awards

You are considered qualifying for the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award, automatically, upon your completions of service in AmeriCorps. You can use the funds provided by this award to pay education expenses for eligible programs. The funds can be used for as long as 7 years after your AmeriCorps service ends.

Check your program or contact your program sponsor to determine how much funds you can qualify.

Alternative student loans and WorkSource & Unemployment benefits

In the case where you have money problems, you can check to see if you are eligible for student loans or WorkSource & Unemployment benefits.

– Alternative student loans

Take out alternative loans from private student loan programs if your financial aid awards are not enough to cover the needs.

To apply for the loans, you will need a cosigner. The interest rates are calculated on the prime rate in addition to a fixed percentage on the base of your or your cosigner’s credit rating. The loan checks will be mailed to you directly.

– WorkSource & Employment benefits

WorkSource is a program extending your unemployment benefits and paying your education costs when you attend school full time.

UW has certificates approved by education programs, which enable WorkSource to pay you fees while you earn a certificate.

As a part of Seattle and King County’s employment and training services system, it also provides financial assistance for those planning to start a new career in a demanding occupation.

However, the benefits are only available for those who have recently been laid off.

Note: This web site is not affiliated with or connected to University of Washington. For accurate and professional information, go to University of Washington official site.

Comments are closed.

University of Washington